Following the announcement of an extended lockdown, there are a lot of people across the world who will be struggling with keeping any kind of wellness routine.
Even the strongest of those amongst us are likely to have the odd down day at the moment and we wanted to help as much as we can by sharing our top ten apps for wellbeing.
The Charterhouse team are big fans of most of these apps and we are definitely finding them useful as we spend more time at home.
Let’s start with fitness. We all know that the fitter we are, the stronger we are to fight off illness, so what better time to get into a new fitness regime?
- Joe Wicks has become the nations favourite PE teacher to people of all ages. He’s received a gold YouTube button from all the people watching, so he’s got to be doing something right! Join in with the fun here!
- Maybe yoga is more your thing. It’s hard to find a yoga class that’s right for you but Yoga with Tim is a great place to start or improve your practice. There are 7 day and 30 day challenges to keep you motivated or one off classes to suit. We are all a little addicted to this at Charterhouse – there’s even the odd headstand going on! Have a go here.
- Davina McCall has responded too all those struggling for inspiration for at-home workouts by launching her own online fitness platform. It’s packed with workouts, classes and even recipes. Check it out here!
So that’s the fitness of our bodies taken care of, what about our minds. Here’s our top choice of mindfulness apps.
- You’ve probably heard of Headspace as it’s one of the best-known meditation apps out there. If you are new to meditation or just curious as to its benefits, then this is a great way to start with a free 10 part basics course. We find the sessions super relaxing, calming and strangely invigorating. Give it a go here.
- The Calm App is perfect if you fancy something a little different to help you sleep. How about Matthew McConaughey reading you a soothing bedtime story? Or maybe Stephen Fry is more the tone you are after? This is something you need to try to really understand the benefits. It’s a nostalgia trip and will take you back to bedtime stories as a child. Try it here – https://www.calm.com
- Whilst there are a lot of people currently furloughed in the UK, we appreciate that there also still a lot of people working from home with increased workloads and a work-life imbalance. Simple Habit is perfect for busy people who still want to take a little time out for mental wellbeing. This app covers so many different topics, there really is something for everyone. Download it HERE!! – https://www.simplehabit.com
Some of us are at home with our partners, some have large families, some just the dog for extra company, but at this time there are lots of people on their own too. Being in lockdown on your own can be tough so here’s our top 2 apps to help.
- Viber is a messaging app that seems like it was born for this exact time. It connects over 900million users and is a lifeline to supportive online communities and groups. There are group chats that can offer support for fitness, good films, book recommendations and lots more. It’s the perfect alternative to scrolling through Instagram and Facebook. Try it here.
- Whilst not technically an app, we really wanted to include the Mental Health foundation’s podcasts in our list. There are 16 different topics and the ideal companion to your outdoor exercise time. Why not give one a try tomorrow? You can listen to on the Mental Health Foundation website, downloaded or subscribe on iTunes.
Finally, as lots of us reach for the snack drawer throughout the day and drink a little more than normal, it’s important that we check our nutritional health too. Planning meals will not only help your health, it will also make those visits to the supermarket easier. Here’s our top 2 –
- We are all being a little savvier when it comes to the food shopping and the Smart Recipes app has been used heavily at Charterhouse. We’ve all been making tasty, healthy meals that everyone is enjoying – even the children! It’s a totally free app so well worth a look here.
- If preparing 3 meals a day seems like a bit of a commitment, then download Mealime. This app is everything in one and makes meal planning, shopping and cooking almost as simple as a visit to Just Eat. Our favourite meal so far has to be Roasted Paprika Chicken Thighs – so tasty! Start your meal planning here.
We hope that you find these apps useful and that they help you get through lockdown with a strong mind and body.
Stay safe everyone and if you have any hints and tips to share with us, we’d love to hear from you.